E200 9" rear - big or small bearing?

naginalf

E200 9" rear - big or small bearing?

Postby naginalf » January 24th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Title says it all. Does a '69 E200 have a large or small bearing rearend in it? I'd like to upgrade the rear brakes to disc with the scarebird kit, but I'm not sure how to tell without taking off the wheels and drums. Figured one of y'all would know off hand.

Injun had said he had 28 spline axles on his E100, but that doesn't mean it's a small bearing, and the E200 9" may be different. I've read that what they used depended on GVW, but no one mentions what or how to tell without taking it apart. I may have to wait until it's warm to take a wheel off and make sure.

Tom S

Re: E200 9" rear - big or small bearing?

Postby Tom S » January 24th, 2018, 7:35 pm

:roll: Gee, too bad you don’t have the internet. There is a thing on there called Google, it’s a search engine that can easily turn up an amazing amount of information.
https://www.google.com/search?q=+large+or+small+bearing+9%22+rearend&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/nineinch/

naginalf

Postby naginalf » January 24th, 2018, 10:22 pm

I did read that actually. But that article was about as clear as mud in regards to the bearing size. I did actually find quite a bit of info including how to figure it out, which said that you have to take off the wheel and brakes. But I just found the original source of your article which had more specific info about the shape of the housing, which I just now realized should be obvious from under the van. So I braved the snow to crawl under my van and find out for myself. And to answer the question once and for all for anyone else interested, the stock 69 E200 (unless mine has been modified which I doubt) has a SMALL bearing housing.

And my van:

Tom S

Postby Tom S » January 24th, 2018, 10:52 pm

naginalf wrote: But that article was about as clear as mud in regards to the bearing size.

This is & was pretty damn clear about which is the large or small bearing housing. That's what you wanted to know. It even showed up on the url list of the Google search I posted. You didn't even have to open the fordmuscle.com link to see & read it.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/nineinch/
“A small bearing housing can be differentiated from a large bearing housing by the size of the nuts and thread used to retain the brake backing plates to the housing, the small bearing housings use 9/16 socket size nuts with 3/8� fine thread, while the larger bearing use 11/16� socket size and 7/16� fine thread. Gross Vehicle ...”

naginalf

Postby naginalf » January 25th, 2018, 12:06 am

Yes Tom, thank you, but I believe I covered all of that in my first post. I don't need to defend it word for word. My intent and question was clear and valid. I've also created a place to gather information from and for others. Thank you for contributing to that, but the condescension is not necessary.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » January 25th, 2018, 9:29 am

naginalf wrote:Yes Tom, thank you, but I believe I covered all of that in my first post.
Covered all what in your first post? There's nothing about those bolt sizes in your posts & I think that is the best info to use.
Don't know where this pic came from but I wouldn't go on just the shape of those housing ends to determine
bearing sizes if that's what your doing. I'd pull a brake drum & check the nut head sizes.

naginalf

Postby naginalf » January 25th, 2018, 10:08 am

Yes, the bolts do seem to be the best indicator.

My pic came from the original posting of that same article (ripped off and copied across multiple sites). He actually updated his information after it was plagiarized and included about twice as much info. Unfortunately, I did not find that until after my original post, so I apologize for not being clearer. Next time I'll be sure to post my references. I wasn't aware that the rules here required research documentation in order to post. Please reread my post. I clearly stated, "without taking the wheel off" (because I HAD read that article about the bolts), that GVW was a consideration but no specifics (which also came from your article), quoted info searched from this forum, and that I was looking for actual experience. I guess I should have been clearer in my request or done more research. :roll: None the less, the topic was not covered in this forum, so regardless of how valid YOU feel that my post was, it was definitely information and a topic that has a place here.

Moving on... Does anyone have any ACTUAL experience and not just reposts from the web? I'm looking for people with vans who KNOW what they have or have first hand knowledge on the matter.

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » January 26th, 2018, 12:03 pm

I think we have the same e200 real axle shaft with a pressed on sealed roller bearing. it's the small one and I use the same lug wrench size that I took the tire off to take the backing plate off through the access hole. It's one of the features that I like, one jack and one tool and about 20 minutes and I can have that axle shaft in my hand. I've had two bearings fail and have changed three of them. I carry two as spare parts as well as a few oil seals because they are the kind of thing you want handy when they fail and you have to hitchhike with an axle shaft wrapped in a blanket to a machine shop to have the new one pressed on.
but I have drums all around so I can't help with changing that to disks. sounds complicated enough to change the front brakes without an axle to deal with.
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

naginalf

Postby naginalf » February 2nd, 2018, 12:54 pm

Thank Oggy! Yeah, I'm not going to do the rear disk conversion after all. The Scarebird kit seemed to only have instructions for installing components that get you 4.5" bolt patterns. A company call Fabquest had the only 9" small bearing 5x5.5" rear disk conversion that I could find. But my drums work great and I've got enough to do right now as it is. Maybe next year.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » February 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm

naginalf wrote:The Scarebird kit seemed to only have instructions for installing components that get you 4.5" bolt patterns.
So what? You did see & post in this thread.
On page 2 of 4, 'Disc conversion e200' .
http://www.secondgeneconolines.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3104&start=10#p6879
oggy bleacher wrote:... I use the same lug wrench size that I took the tire off to take the backing plate off through the access hole. ...
What's this? I'm sure he's mistaken. I find it hard to believe that oggy’s van has 9/16 socket size wheel lug nuts instead of the standard 13/16” lug nuts.
“A small bearing housing can be differentiated from a large bearing housing by the size of the nuts and thread used to retain the brake backing plates to the housing, the small bearing housings use 9/16 socket size nuts with 3/8� fine thread, while the larger bearing use 11/16� socket size and 7/16� fine thread ..."

Return to “Engines and Drivetrain”