How to remove chrome trim square tabs

blakeem

How to remove chrome trim square tabs

Postby blakeem » November 3rd, 2017, 6:37 pm

I have a 1969 with chrome trim that I'm removing. The trim slides onto square tabs that look riveted on. Do I need to drill these out or is there a trick to getting them off? I'm welding up all the holes and I want to preserve the trim and mounting hardware for anyone that may need it.

Thanks!
-Blake

Tom S

Re: How to remove chrome trim square tabs

Postby Tom S » November 3rd, 2017, 7:59 pm

Get a look at them from the inside to see how they are fastened to the body.
I’ve removed & replaced the exterior trim/molding from several vehicles, (older than our vans), but never one of these vans. I’ve never seen any trim clips that were riveted on.. Some, usually near the trim ends, may be held on by a nut & some are just held by a spring clip so you can just pull them out or push them in.
Was looking for some trim clips for a ‘57 Ford a while back & found out that these clips can be a bit spendy to replace the many that are needed.

Post some pix of some of yours when you get them out so we can see how these fasten. As you can see here there are many different styles.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Body+Molding+Clip&_osacat=6000&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xford+Body+Molding+Clip.TRS0&_nkw=ford+Body+Molding+Clip&_sacat=6000

RTA

Postby RTA » November 4th, 2017, 8:59 am

I just did the same thing to my van last week. I doubt you will be able to save any of the fasteners though...I saved all the trim pieces. Good luck!

Tom S

Postby Tom S » November 5th, 2017, 7:02 pm

RTA wrote: I doubt you will be able to save any of the fasteners though...
Why not? Tell us what they are like or look like.

RTA

Postby RTA » November 5th, 2017, 8:27 pm

There were two types on mine. Metal pieces that were flat on the inside and mostly rusty. Enough to break out or off. I had all the trim except the driver door.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » November 5th, 2017, 8:40 pm

RTA wrote:Metal pieces that were flat on the inside and mostly rusty.
Sorry, but that's very poor description. Flat on the inside? Can you find a pic of one like that?

RTA

Postby RTA » November 6th, 2017, 8:57 am

I found a couple pieces in the bottom of the doors. Yes, hard to explain. I do not have any of the rest of the fastener, they were flat metal diamond shape that fit into the molding.
Attachments
IMG_3615.JPG

Tom S

Postby Tom S » November 6th, 2017, 5:01 pm

RTA wrote:I found a couple pieces in the bottom of the doors. Yes, hard to explain.
"A picture is worth a thousands words". Image
The ones you show are held on by nuts. So I guess you're saying it's unlikely most of the fasteners can be saved since they're are so rusty that the stud will probably break before the nut comes loose. Got it.

That could cause another problem. Hopefully, anyone would want to save the trim. They ain't makin' any more. If the whole trim fastener rotates because the nuts are rusted in place the trim will be damaged. Makes sharp dents in the trim. In that case it would be best to grind or somehow cut the nuts off & keep the trim in good shape.
Were all the trim fasteners held on by nuts? No push-in ones?

Marlon

Postby Marlon » November 6th, 2017, 9:20 pm

This ought to cover it.
Attachments
trim 2.JPG
trim 1.JPG

RTA

Postby RTA » November 6th, 2017, 9:24 pm

No, not all of them were held by nuts. Here is a pick of whats left on the inside from the others. I believe they were riveted on.
Attachments
IMG_3616.JPG

Return to “Bodywork, Paint & Restoration”