What have you done to your Econoline today

Xplorerman

What have you done to your Econoline today

Postby Xplorerman » December 26th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Today I took out the auxiliary battery to charge and store it in the house for the winter. Later.
Last edited by Xplorerman on December 29th, 2015, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it right or Don't

Mike Quain
Site Admin

Re: What have you done to your Econoline today

Postby Mike Quain » December 28th, 2015, 12:52 am

I cut out a rubber gasket sort of thing from a bicycle inner tube to help insulate the loud electronic fuel pump from the frame. It's a small fix, but greatly needed.
1974 Econoline E-100 Cargo Custom
https://www.facebook.com/thenikonkidd

Marlon

Postby Marlon » December 29th, 2015, 10:19 am

Not exactly today, but this week - I've been putting some finishing touches on my van cabinetry.
Attachments
van int 53.JPG

Thorin

Postby Thorin » April 5th, 2016, 4:07 pm

i payed some garages bills :D

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » April 10th, 2016, 10:46 am

Two weeks ago I discovered the passenger rear wheel bearing had failed, (after changing all the 4 front bearings when I heard a rumbling) probably from contamination by the differential fluid, which I had overfilled after a brilliant mechanic suggested the bearing was lubricated by the fluid (although it's still my fault). These are sealed bearings and there is an oil seal between the differential case and the bearing. They are greased in the factory and sealed and any slots in the walls are probably for heat expansion. So, if they are sealed and looked sealed and not obviously tapered with exposed rollers then keep the differential fluid below the level of the filler hole in the differential case because a severe incline will flood the seal and possibly flood the bearing and wash the grease out.Image
More fuel delivery woes almost ended my travels in the mountains of Guatemala, complete shut down, stuttering, no fuel in the filter, no flow, gas reeked like coffee, debris in the gas, stalling. That involved using the radiator overflow reservoir as an emergency gas tank. I left Guatemala with the wheel bearing in pieces because Guatemala doesn't have Ford parts. My only hope was to reach an autozone across the border in Mexico. If you are wondering what driving 200KM on a bearing that is falling apart does to the bearing then this picture will answer that question.Image
It wasn't making too much noise but once in a while I could hear a bump. and the seal was leaking so the brakes pulled something awful.

added a pick up straw filter...Image
and the fuel system is going good now after changing the inline filter and cleaning the tank for the second time.

another rough rock parking lot to do the work on. (note the baseball umpire knee protection I used when working on rock in the Texas oil field). Image

Here's the final pressed on new bearing and retainer. found the parts in Mexico after a little bit of hunting. Bought 3 oil seals and will order a spare bearing. This new one is Duralast DL514003. National makes one too 514003. also, drained the differential case fluid to level with the filler hole.

I won't include a picture of the nest of huge ants I found breeding under a storage bag in the van, which explains why I had them crawling all over me for the last two weeks. I'm looking for a place to rebuild or at least clean the differential case and get new oil in there. and the battery ground had corroded from living on the beach and there was no ignition until I cleaned them.
Last edited by oggy bleacher on February 26th, 2017, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » April 18th, 2016, 1:18 am

Overdue maintenance:
changed all spark plugs. they come factory gapped at around .45' or more'. Something to look out for if you think these are properly gapped out of the box. So I had to reset them all to .34''
I knew the old ones had been ruined by the awful gas I was using in Guatemala.
changed the points that were wearing unevenly, also changed condenser.
looking for a replacement air filter.
and changed the dizzy cap and rotor. cleaned carb. inventoried my parts as it was getting hard to remember what I actually have in stock. Turned out I was carrying 16 brand new spark plugs plus 8 spare old plugs in addition to the ones actually being used. 4 sets of new points. 1 new condenser. a set of used points and condenser. new spare solenoid, old voltage regulator, old coil, 2 rear wheel seals, the old front wheel bearings. I'm still carting around the transmission drum and the spare parts from the transmission job years ago. oil pan gasket that will take all my ingenuity to install. The transmission fluid and coolant levels never move but the oil pan gasket is so worn out that it leaks more than I like, requiring me to add oil.
I am also carrying many new brake lines and fuel hoses and vacuum hoses and 2 spare drive belts and a ridiculous wheel cylinder repair kit (why not simply buy a spare slave cylinder for $3?)
changed the worn out windshield wipers, that are so old fashioned I can barely find replacements blades that slide into the old clips.
Did some work on my moped too but that's a different forum.
I have to distribute the load better as I notice the driver's side has all the weight and is leaning that direction. Am planning on taking everything out to vacuum the tropical spiders out of the corners! Finally have a shady spot to park it and do the work.
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

flapjack

Postby flapjack » April 18th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Bought one.

MartinGTE
Admin

Postby MartinGTE » April 19th, 2016, 8:37 am

flapjack wrote:Bought one.

Congrats!! Picture(s) please!
Martin

Thorin