What have you done to your Econoline today

Tom S

Re: What have you done to your Econoline today

Postby Tom S » February 8th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Wes wrote:It looks copper to me as well. A big no no in USA. Germany may be not.
It's a big no-no to use copper brake lines anywhere. And with the rigid inspections in Germany and in the Netherlands where Martin is it certainly wouldn't pass. Martin had to have his van inspected by the authorities there and they picked up on the slightest thing. Wouldn't let him register the van until they were all fixed.
Copper lines are not strong enough for brake line's hydraulic pressure and will come apart, usually at the flair. But I'm guessing that since Martin said he had a new line made somebody knew what they were doing it is really the Cunifer copper nickel brake line that I provided links for.
Look up Cunifer copper nickel brake line. Good stuff to use when replacing brake lines.

MartinGTE
Admin

Postby MartinGTE » February 9th, 2017, 1:44 am

Allways thought it was just copper, but could be a mixture.... have been using it (in The Netherlands, close to Germany :D ) since > 25 years.

They actually both sell copper and Cunifer:
http://www.automotive-line.nl/koperen-remleidingen

Copper too soft??
OK just read your last entry now Tom: Thanks!
Martin

VesapMike

Postby VesapMike » February 9th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I'm going to use NiCopp (Nickel Copper) lines for my E200. I had heard that they bend easier and that they will not corrode.

Claims have also been made that it's easy to do double flared ends with this stuff. I'll post when I'm done to let you all know how it went.

I'm currently in the middle of restoring ALL of the power steering and power brake components that I bought from the junkyards to convert my E200 to power steering and power brakes.. I'm trying to photograph it all for future write ups that I'll share here.

This includes rebuilding the power steering pump (did that last week), rebuilding the power cylinder, and rebuilding the power steering valve.

I skipped taking good photos of the power steering pump rebuild.. but the 1972 ford truck repair manual explains things pretty good (even tells you which direction to install the slippers in the pump cam). I'll document the other stuff much better.

jinxlynx

Postby jinxlynx » February 12th, 2017, 1:03 pm

VesapMike wrote:This includes rebuilding the power steering pump (did that last week), rebuilding the power cylinder, and rebuilding the power steering valve.

I skipped taking good photos of the power steering pump rebuild.. but the 1972 ford truck repair manual explains things pretty good (even tells you which direction to install the slippers in the pump cam). I'll document the other stuff much better.

Looking forward to seeing/reading these writeups.

I started my van up yesterday. Gotta do that every once in a while! =)

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » February 23rd, 2017, 6:53 pm

These exhaust donuts lasted since I put the dual mufflers on back in 2013. The dual mufflers do make it easier to work on one side at a time but it still took some work.
100_2141.JPG
gasket on separate pipe

When I did the dual mufflers it came time to put the flange back on and I had not accounted for the flare at the end plus a tip that the donut goes on. It takes some pretty clever use of a pipe flaring machine. I think it looked like this...
flange.jpg
original gasket flare

But it was part of the pipe that I was replacing and I couldn't figure out how to make the same thing on the new pipe. So I flared the end out of the new pipe and then cut a piece that fits in the donut and then fits into the newflare.

100_2143.JPG
new gasket and pipe piece

When replacing the pipe the flange has to be put on before making the flare, unless the weld to the muffler itself is being done later because the flange is trapped between the muffler and the flare for the donut. I guess a person replacing the old pipe could cut the entire original flare off and fit it into the new flared pipe, depending on the condition of the old pipe. I remember thinking that I'm going through all this effort to replace the old pipe and didn't like the idea of keeping the one part of the old pipe closest to the manifold simply for the fancy flare for the gasket. The little piece that fits in the gasket is so it doesn't get crushed when compressed and to align it when installing. A day of reckoning will come for those bolt studs but it was not today.

100_2145.JPG
new gasket installed

Also, changed the dizzy cap and rotor.
And I laid a bead of RTV sealant on the underneath/hidden side of the master cylinder gasket because it kept leaking. I think it wasn't a tight enough seal and that gasket/cap is impossible to find. An alternative would've been to buy a gasket that doesn't fit and cut it up and put it in the same place I put the rtv sealant to shim out the gasket and get a tighter fit. At least the leak is gone.
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

Abitibi

Postby Abitibi » February 25th, 2017, 1:24 am

Well, maybe not today (couple days late posting) ;) but I picked her up and brought her back home!
20170221_101305.jpg

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » February 26th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Finally moved the fuel filter from around the dizzy cap
20161110_103835.jpg
inline filter near dizzy cap
where I think it was overheating along with the fuel line and all the fuel would evaporate from the filter every time I stopped thus making my already bad MPG even worse. Found a place by the pressure differential valve where the fuel lines had been spliced with some rubber hose and the proper bell flare had been added to the ends of the fuel line.
20170226_135310.jpg
rubber line splice
So I cut the rubber off and bent the line to give me some space and put a filter in there.
20170226_144502.jpg
new inline filter

I figure I will still have some evaporation from the fuel line but at least the whole filter contents will not be lost every time I stop. Since I used a metal filter I won't be able to check if it's full.
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

Abitibi

Postby Abitibi » February 27th, 2017, 2:10 am

I have the same problem in my '65 with the 240 and I like what you did. I might even be tempted to run the engine bay fuel lines inside oversized silicone hoses to insulate them even more from the heat...

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » February 27th, 2017, 5:22 pm

If fuel pressure is the issue, which I think it is, then this will only make a little difference. When I had the filter next to the dizzy cap it would evaporate until it was empty and then it had to be filled again when I cranked and then it would build up pressure into the carb and finally start. Now I suspect only the line between the carb and the pump will evaporate and take less cranking to fill back up.

There are so many possible causes of that 'hard starting when hot' problem. But we have to install a better fuel filter because the stock one screwed on the motorcraft carb is just a sediment screen that doesn't do much at all. So, the question is where to put the filter and I think either immediately after the line comes out of the tank or somewhere on the box frame away from the exhaust. And then I insulated the line with the thermotec heat wrap which didn't help the starting problem.

I think the final solution is to replace the fuel pump with one that maintains pressure, installed inside the fuel tank, but I'm going to exhaust all options before attempting that.

Abitibi

Postby Abitibi » February 28th, 2017, 1:44 am

Why would you put your fuel pump inside your tank? Such a pain to service. I would put a fuel pump just after the tank (maybe a Walbro inline pump?) then the filter next to it.

Return to “General Discussion”