What have you done to your Econoline today

Tom S

Re: What have you done to your Econoline today

Postby Tom S » February 28th, 2017, 6:27 am

oggy bleacher wrote:If fuel pressure is the issue, which I think it is .........
when I cranked and then it would build up pressure into the carb ....
Pressure does not build up in the carb. The carb's float bowl is vented to the atmosphere. Only fuel level builds in the float bowl until the float needle stops the flow.

frankarian

Postby frankarian » March 5th, 2017, 11:25 am

Sorry guys for the hiatus. After the city of Palm Springs threw the book at me for "repairing an auto in a residential area in the city limits" I got flushed out into new terrain. Had to call on a favor of a buddy for a place to work. What follows are four photos of some recent changes to the blue van. And a lot has changed. The bed ate up so much of the cabin along with the custom leather cap'n chairs that a console with frig and ice maker were no longer realistic. At this point the cap'n chairs are in and functional. The asymmetry of the dog house ie not in the midline created great problems for these big chairs on the passenger side. I elected to stay away from a wood frame for the bed and went with light box tubing. Its all pinned together for rapid takedown so a full floor can be exposed for hauling stuff. It should come together later this week and Ill follow with pics of that stage. I am rethinking what next once bed is complete. There is just not a lot of space to work with in these small vans. Still love em tho... I am selling the green 4x4. Many of the things I bought for the blue van could be put into the green van as upgrade and that could be discussed. All serious offers will be considered. FOB Palm Springs.
Attachments
omag22.jpg
omag33.jpg
omag11.jpg
omag44.jpg
73 Club E300 SuperVan

frankarian

Postby frankarian » March 5th, 2017, 11:33 am

what killed the cabin was the decision to flush out the bed with the C post. I layed on the plywood and even with it flush to the c post could not sleep completely straight so that was the absolute minimum. I think I will still create a sliding extension so two can sleep stretched out and straight.
73 Club E300 SuperVan

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » March 5th, 2017, 1:14 pm

frankarian wrote: could not sleep completely straight so that was the absolute minimum.

Me and my van are in Cathedral City if you want to see how I have my van arranged. I am too tall to sleep sideways in the van and ended up having a single bed on one side. Maybe you need a hammock system like I have to go with the Tropical theme.
100_0857.JPG
hammock

I should mention that weight distribution is a problem over time. Most of the weight in my van is on the driver's side and it causes the direction to drift. If it's for short trips I guess it doesn't matter but I have a ton of tools and parts and even a moped and piano inside the van but it's all on one side. Would've been better to distribute it more evenly but that would mean rearranging the wood stove.

I'd like to check out the Tahiti princess stripper in person too!
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

frankarian

Postby frankarian » March 6th, 2017, 4:28 pm

how long u in town oggy?
73 Club E300 SuperVan

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » March 7th, 2017, 8:15 pm

frankarian wrote:how long u in town oggy?

Check your private messages.
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » March 12th, 2017, 1:35 am

I changed the PCV valve, reduced the idle, changed from 20w-50 to 10w 40 high mileage motor oil, typed out 13 years of maintenance records, and learned I don't know how to wax a vehicle. running good enough to get out of this hellish Coachella Valley. 96 degrees in March? No thanks. I need gloves to open the door. I'm moving to the high country.

PayItForward

Postby PayItForward » March 16th, 2017, 5:56 am

oggy bleacher wrote:I changed the PCV valve, reduced the idle, changed from 20w-50 to 10w 40 high mileage motor oil, typed out 13 years of maintenance records, and learned I don't know how to wax a vehicle. running good enough to get out of this hellish Coachella Valley. 96 degrees in March? No thanks. I need gloves to open the door. I'm moving to the high country.

Head 5 North. Puget Sound area, we are having near freezing nearly everyday. My '69 turtle top and I would probably learn a lot just from you exploring Cascadia. Big fan of your van/style. Any differences with your new oil?

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » March 17th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Altitude is the shortest solution to the heat. I moved a 50 miles west and mile higher to Anza Valley and it's much cooler. FYI: Anza and Coronado are the two Conquistadores who ventured into North America so it's a good place for my van. Of course I got a job working on a solar project in the blazing sun for 10 hours a day so it's no paradise, but it helps my wallet. I see a slight difference (less) in oil pressure with lighter weight oil. If I travel north I'll look you up.

Only got 50 years of service out of these latches for the side screen doors. Who was in charge of quality control?? There are only a few left on this van that work. To fix them I drill out the rivet and put in a bolt with a spring on one side. In this case I used a rubber washer. The trick is getting the latch to have some play.
100_2160.JPG
spring latch on screen window

joker

Postby joker » April 20th, 2017, 11:31 am

Hi, i modified the mirror like a surfboard and paint it like my surfervan´s color. :lol:
20170330_114048.jpg
Bild 016 - Kopie.jpg
Bild 016 - Kopie.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 199 times
20170417_143102.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”