What have you done to your Econoline today

Abitibi

Re: What have you done to your Econoline today

Postby Abitibi » April 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm

What did i do to my econoline today? I bought it! Hahaha!

received_1491509637539448.jpeg

Woodsy

Postby Woodsy » May 30th, 2017, 3:34 am

Busy day!
Transmission out and back in again.
Since I rebuilt the engine it has had a oil leak from what appeared to be the rear crank seal.....nightmare.
Turns out it was the rear sump seal......phew.
When I fitted the updated rear two piece crank seal I removed the old rope seal locator pin. With a snuggly fitting sump seal this shouldn't have been a problem but my sump has been modified (not by me) and on close inspection the rear sump seal around the bearing cap was a 'loose' fit.
So I plugged the locator pin hole with a piece of aluminum dowel, ran a thin bead of high temp silicone under the sump seal (on the bearing cap) so hopefully that will sort it.
Gearbox back in and that just leaves me to put new oil in the engine and test it. It was time to replace the running in oil anyhow.
I suppose I should have plugged the dowel hole when rebuilding the engine.....live and learn eh.
A good days work I feel.

Woodsy

Postby Woodsy » June 1st, 2017, 3:28 pm

Oh bugger!!!
I thought the leak was sorted, after running the engine for 20mins it started dripping again.
THAT'S IT, I'VE HAD IT!!!!!.....take it out again.
Engine is now on the workshop floor again, inspected the seal and it's defInitely had it, why? I don't know at this time.
I'm gonna take crank out and get it checked for alignment etc.

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » June 30th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Lash Adjustment has been something that I put off because I was afraid I would mess something up and be stuck in a worse situation than too much play in the steering. But the job I got requires some navigating on tight steep winding roads and when I am coming out of a left turn I hear a clunk of something in the steering linkage. Greasing the zerks didn't fix the sound so maybe a tie rod is worn out. But the amount of play in the steering was ridiculous but I had gotten used to it. It only bothered me trying to keep a straight line while being followed by a sheriff. So, I bit the bullet and looked into it. I knew this round access circle behind the driver's side front wheel was the adjustment area but I didn't know what to expect. I jacked up the front and put it on jack stands. Then I got prepared to do battle with the lock nut, figuring it was rusted on, but it was barely tight. Well, maybe that explains why I had 20 degrees of play in the steering.
So, I had to tighten the steering by turning the slotted bolt clockwise, but doing that also turns the lock nut. And loosening the lock nut more also loosens the adjustment bolt. There isn't easy access with a wrench from under or over so I put the screwdriver through the socket, put it in the adjustment bolt. Then put the socket over the lock nut and with both hands I could control the lock nut and the adjustment bolt at the same time and tighten the adjustment bolt and check the steering play.
I did this until there was about 2 degrees of play in the steering instead of 20. I wanted to test drive it before I went too far.
I've driven it a bunch on these winding roads and can say the steering is much tighter. The manual suggests there should be 0 degrees of play in the steering but it's a little vague. There is no topic of adjusting lash with the steering box still installed. The only notes are on setting the lash with the steering box on a bench and getting a torque reader on the sector shaft. Well, the steering wheel is the real test so if there's less play at the steering wheel then that is what I want.
I didn't know what to expect since I've never done that adjustment before and suspension issues sort of intimidate me when I have to do all the repairs in a campground miles from anywhere.
Now if I can figure out how to add fluid to the steering box then I might not have to overhaul it.

I adjusted the points gap too.
Attachments
100_2350.JPG
screwdriver through an 11/16'' socket
100_2349.JPG
lash adjustment window
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » June 30th, 2017, 9:28 pm

oggy bleacher wrote:...Now if I can figure out how to add fluid to the steering box then I might not have to overhaul it.
I think grease goes in the steering box, not fluid.

Woodsy

Postby Woodsy » July 3rd, 2017, 2:08 pm

Fitted a servo (Brake Booster to you guys across the pond) to my non servo van, Cheers Gary for the parts :) .
Can't road test it because my engine block is still at the machine shop :roll: They'll get round to it eventually I hope :)

joker

Postby joker » July 4th, 2017, 11:52 am

Hello,
i bought a rain/wind deflector for a 1979-1998 Dodge or Plymouth van yesterday
20170704_115407.jpg
and it fits perfect on my second gen! :D

1970SurvivorE200

Postby 1970SurvivorE200 » August 17th, 2017, 9:32 am

After years of searching and missed opportunities I finally will be able to give my van a face lift with some fresh aluminum. No dings , dents
or dimples. :D

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2418

And new eyes too!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2419

Fresh off ebay last week
Attachments
Mine 189.JPG
Mine 188.JPG

Woodsy

Postby Woodsy » August 22nd, 2017, 3:39 pm

Looks lovely, I bet there's no chance of finding one of those in the UK :cry:

FlyingV

Postby FlyingV » October 20th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Finished restoring my gas tank and installed it with blue push loc hose. Working on my new paint job and clear coat...today I was color sanding all day... tomorrow too...party just goes on.
IMG_20171015_175116993.jpg
IMG_20171018_163650824.jpg
IMG_20171001_183646071.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”