What have you done to your Econoline today

FlyingV

Re: What have you done to your Econoline today

Postby FlyingV » October 22nd, 2017, 1:45 pm

Wet sanding the clear coat...long day...time to polish!
IMG_20171022_131753351.jpg
IMG_20171022_131931480.jpg
IMG_20171022_131949526.jpg

Man, are my arms tired.

oggy bleacher

Postby oggy bleacher » October 23rd, 2017, 11:32 pm

100_2518.JPG
disassembly

I got some sunlight on a day off and decided the time had come to relocate the chimney. I put it on the top originally because I wanted as much draught as possible and to put the embers as far above my fuel tank as possible. The draught is very strong but there are seldom embers. I'd be content with leaving it except for repeatedly getting trapped or blocked because of the height of the chimney and the design of this particular chimney top allows heavy rain to get inside the cap where the water makes its way to the outside of the stovepipe where it follows the curls down onto my clothes. The silicone caulking doesn't leak, the rain actually blows inside the pipe. It's an improvised connection between top and stovepipe and I've dealt with it for 6 years but I'm in a rain forest again so I decided to move it.

This involved tearing the old cap assembly off, patching the hole (good thing I saved the two hole cut-outs from years ago), locating the new hole so the stovepipe will not be too close to the side, cutting the holes, making a wooden donut for the new screws to bite into and cutting it in half so I could put it inside the fiberglass walls through a rectangle that had some long-gone vent. I also had to adjust this custom sleeve I made so the pipe can be clamped to something on the inside that is also fixed to the outside. The sleeve is cut so some tabs are sandwiched between the cap assembly and the inner flange. If I accidentally grab the pipe then it will resist being torn out of the cap because it is hose-clamped to the same sleeve that is stuck between the fiberglass.
chimney.jpg
chimney donut

Then I caulked it with some all weather titanium masonry silicone and some red RTV gasket maker around all the screw holes and screwed it all back together. I'm happy to say it draws smoke as well as before and extends back no further than the spare tire. Charcoal is still the preferred fuel. It burns slower and more consistently, needs no prep, produces more ash, produces no embers. I have a CO2 monitor right next to the stove and it's never gone off. Wood must be sawed and chopped to small pieces, constantly refilled, burns hot and fast.

I got done late because in the middle of the project my radiator was dropped off and I changed gears to get that installed.

APDI/PRO 8010393 http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3609489&cc=1112421&jsn=459&jsn=459
With Engine Side Flange; Without Air Conditioning

I was reluctant to order a radiator from rockauto without measuring it myself but circumstances made this the best option. Took 1 week and arrived with a big hole in the box. something broke the cardboard and just brushed the fragile fins but did no damage. I needed to put the tranny line fittings and the coolant drain from the old one to the new one and then it went in. basically the exact same radiator. It says "RIBBED PLASTIC TANKS: Ribs completely surround the tank to resist flex and cracking..." But this does not feel like plastic. It's slightly lighter than the other one but these reservoirs feel and sound like metal when tapped. It looks respectable.

100_2522.JPG
new radiator

My only complaint is the overflow nipple was manufactured so there was no clearance for a hose. Took a screwdriver to pry it high enough to fit a hose on it but the hose is no longer going to an overflow reservoir due to my reservoir being cracked so dust can get back in. I buttoned that all up with a new cap but ran out of time to fill it. Then I jumped back to the chimney project. It was a busy day and I still don't like cutting fiberglass.

Unless I'm burning a lot of wood the top of the stovepipe doesn't get hot enough to heat up the fiberglass.
100_2524.JPG
interior

100_2523.JPG
new profile

The tie rod end is the next project.
1969 E-200 Camper Conversion named El Conquistador. Gas! 2Brl Motorcraft carb, 302 V8, C4 transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes, points ignition, manual steering, wood or charcoal stove equipped with aft chimney. Oggy is currently a traveling minstrel.

Spike

Postby Spike » October 27th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Installed two Sylvania ZEVO #168 6000K LED bulbs in instrument panel and one in the heater control bezel, big improvement! Tried the same bulbs in the blinkers and didn't like them as much, too bright and bluish, so I left the original bulbs in the blinkers.

Spike

Woodsy

Postby Woodsy » October 30th, 2017, 7:00 am

Proper road test since rebuilding the 351 motor and fitting disc brakes.
Result......WOW! on both counts :D
Engine is lovely and smooth with loads of power, this van really moves now (for a van that is), the C10 gearbox with a shift kit feel good but I feel an adjustable modulator is called for so I can make it rev a little more between shifts (when I want it to).
The brakes are powerful, 'stop on a sixpence' as we say over here..... no fade, no adrenalin assisted braking required anymore....love it.
Seats are now away at the upholsterers to be recovered, I have a temporary seat just so I can drive about.
Starting to love this van now.
:D

frankarian

Postby frankarian » January 23rd, 2018, 6:53 pm

ok we are resuming on the stripper van. finally. lots of problems with neighbors led to substantial delay. The bed is in and I elected to trim the bed out in the same laminate as the floor. here is the just finished result. it is not trimmed out just yet.
ec1.jpg
ec2.jpg
73 Club E300 SuperVan

frankarian

Postby frankarian » January 24th, 2018, 8:15 am

finally got the captains chairs in. These are the custom motorhome chairs full swivel and recline. Bit oversize so tricky to mount. about 1000 ea. only the passenger side can swivel all the way around and it takes several maneuvers to do. Ill get better pics but for now...
omag22.jpg
omag33.jpg
73 Club E300 SuperVan

Grimm Vanner

Postby Grimm Vanner » January 26th, 2018, 10:39 pm

collecting parts for the suspension upgrades to my E200, Shocks are on order (Monroe Magnums) my rear sway bar arrived today, yes I found a supplier for the Addco 955 bar. Will be ordering my front sway bar soon and eventually Poly bushings.
Go sell crazy some place else, were all full up here.

frankarian

Postby frankarian » January 27th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Bed platform was finished on the stripper van. Curtains installed. custom 62x62 inch mattress installed for fit. Mattress cost about 1200. Independent spring. This allows me to look at the reality of what space is left for final trim out. Also gives a good view of the colors of curtains which tie together the odd color choices finally.
c6.jpg
c4.jpg
c3.jpg
c2.jpg
c1.jpg
Attachments
c5.jpg
73 Club E300 SuperVan

frankarian

Postby frankarian » February 2nd, 2018, 9:14 am

was sad and frustrated to find out that the amazing airbrush artist SECO from Chile who did the stripper van has got caught in the mess of working visa issues and has returned to Chile with no immediate intention of returning. Im thanking mu lucky stars I had some cash on the last two week block he was here so he could complete the 11 pieces of art on the van. we should pause and think what the ramifications are of the current policies. I have also in my search to add a few more pieces to the van, found out the legendary japanese airbrush artist who is Seco's competition has also returned to Japan with no immediate intention of returning. Also a Visa issue. Food for thought.
73 Club E300 SuperVan

frankarian

Postby frankarian » February 3rd, 2018, 9:02 am

its saturday and that means VAN DAY yay!!!!!!!!!! Big day ahead. I am making the decision on frig or no frig for the stripper van. Its a "truckfridge" 12v/115v TF-130. About 750.00. I have already bought it but have been having second thoughts. Today I am fitting it and will look at how much real estate it takes up. Back with photos later. These are avail at http://www.truckfridge.com. These are bomb frigs. Heavy duty. Great choice if you have the room. These come with a flange mounting kit so you can mount in a cabinet.
B01J3W5P9Q_PT01-225x300.jpg
B01J3W5P9Q_PT01-225x300.jpg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 25 times
Attachments
tf_130_small_store.jpg
tf_130_small_store.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 25 times
73 Club E300 SuperVan

Return to “General Discussion”