Do-it-Yourself dual exhaust

Tom S

Do-it-Yourself dual exhaust

Postby Tom S » February 22nd, 2017, 5:04 pm

Something I wrote up on the old board about saving some money on a dual exhaust system. The pipes come out in the stock location on both sides as I think it should be.
*****************************************************************************************************
Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:27 AM
Or, 'Do-it-Yourself El Cheepo dual pipes.' :D
Years ago when I installed my headers I didn't want to spend a bunch of bucks at a muffler shop for the exhaust system. Looked like I might be able to just buy another over the counter stock tailpipe & cut it near the end of the pipe & flop it over so as to exit the left side.
Turned out I had to cut it in two places to get this to work, but work fine it did.
Cut it here & rotate to fit. Weld back together.
pipes (7).JPG

You will have to get all this mocked up & somehow clamped in place under the van before welding.
Maybe use these clamps.
clamp2.JPG

Might be a little tricky to do alone like I did. I tack welded each cut one at a time & finished welding it on the floor. If you can't weld them yourself an option might be to get a couple sleeves & some muffler clamps to hold them together & take the pipe to a buddy that can weld.
I did this with an arc welder & some 1/16" rod that I was not used to using so it was a bit of a pain.

My currant van project had headers but no mufflers & some real goofy side exit exhaust. Bought a stock over the counter right tailpipe, around 40 bucks these days. Took my custom left pipe off the old van & took both to a muffler shop. Had them bend one new right & two new lefts. The reason I had another right pipe made is because all the over the counter ones I have seen are thinner wall pipe than what most shops use. Was also thinking I'd need a spare down the line.
They had all the pipes taped together when I picked them up so due to lack of time I did not check the match until later. They did miss near the exit as you can see here.
pipes (3).JPG

I did just use one of these on this van. Had to cut the end off & use an old section of a bend to get it to come out in the right place. Still doesn't quite match the right side so it's best to check before you leave the muffler shop and have them change the bend if necessary.

VesapMike

Re: Do-it-Yourself dual exhaust

Postby VesapMike » February 22nd, 2017, 5:16 pm

What is the pipe's part number? What car is it designed to be for? What mufflers did you use? Did you just use straight pipe to the mufflers? What about an "H" or "X"?

Tom S

Postby Tom S » February 22nd, 2017, 5:35 pm

VesapMike wrote:What is the pipe's part number? What car is it designed to be for? What mufflers did you use? Did you just use straight pipe to the mufflers? What about an "H" or "X"?
Start with a stock 2nd gen Econo right side tailpipe. I ordered one from NAPA. Yes, straight pipe to the mufflers. See my reply to your other post about Exhaust Options. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2719&start=10#p5564

VesapMike

Postby VesapMike » August 24th, 2017, 11:16 am

Tom, I called my local Napa Store and had them try to look up the tail pipe, but they told me it's not available. Did you get a part number for this? What was the manufacturer? If I can't buy the tail pipe(s) then I may be forced to take my van to a muffler shop and have them build me up a dual exhaust.. but I'd like to do it myself if the parts are able to be purchased over the counter.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » August 24th, 2017, 11:48 am

VesapMike wrote:Tom, I called my local Napa Store and had them try to look up the tail pipe, but they told me it's not available. Did you get a part number for this? What was the manufacturer? If I can't buy the tail pipe(s) then I may be forced to take my van to a muffler shop and have them build me up a dual exhaust.. but I'd like to do it myself if the parts are able to be purchased over the counter.
Yeah, I couldn't find them on Napa's web site when In looked many months ago. I meant to try & dig out the then new pipes that still have some taped on number tags & see what I can find. They weren't where I thought they were but I can get to them now & will try very soon. Due to your reminder maybe even today. Image

VesapMike

Postby VesapMike » August 24th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Thanks Tom.
I did call a local muffler shop and they quoted me $300 for a whole dual exhaust system, so I may just take the easy route.. but if you find the part #'s perhaps I'll build my own.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » August 24th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Many years, decades actually, before what I first described here I had gone to a Midas shop to buy a stock tailpipe for my van. Not to have them do it but just to buy the tailpipe. I had learned that their, & other muffler/exhaust shops, exhaust pipe had a thicker wall than what one might buy from an auto parts store. This proved to be true.

Midas did not have a stockpile of different tailpipes for hundreds or thousands different vehicles. What they had back then was, I assume, apparently a machine that read a card for all these different vehicles & would bend up the pipe according to what the card said. I didn’t see how this was done so maybe they just read the card & bent the pipe per it's distance, direction, radius & angle instructions.
In any case they bent up the pipe that I could pick up the next day. Perfect fit.

So, prior to the last episode that I described here I first went to the same Midas shop. I was told that they had discarded that method years ago, tossed the cards & could not simply produce the tailpipe that I wanted so I could do my own installation. Had to bring in my vehicle & have them do the whole thing. Right, a lot more $$$ out of my pocket.
I think it was pretty lame of Midas to give that method up & toss all those cards. They ended up getting no money from me whatsoever.
Now I am wondering if this covers every Midas shop in the country. Is it possible that some Midas shops still have this capability? Maybe a Midas shop owned by someone that has an independent spirit & could see the value in this?
Probably a long shot but It may be worth checking with some different Midas shops around your area. If you find out anything, pro or con, I’m sure others here would like to know.

VesapMike

Postby VesapMike » August 24th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Tom,
I used to work in a local auto parts store back in the late 80's/early 90's that bent brake lines and exhaust pipes this way. They had a cabinet full of cards and they trained me how to clamp the pipe, measure and bend the pipe. It was awesome and very accurate. I wasn't there long so they didn't show me how to weld the hangers/brackets on (I was young back then just out of high school), I learned to weld later in life.

Even back then they would only custom bend pipes IF Walker or their other vendor didn't offer them in their catalog. So most times we would just order the pipe and it would come in. But occasionally we had to bend one for someone.

The first place I checked late last year when I bough this van was the old store I used to work at to see if they were still in business, but sadly that store went out of business years ago and I think you're right this method is being phased out in favor of only modern models being supported and fabricated centrally and sent out. Everyone else.. like us with our old vans need to have custom bent pipe made up.

Honestly IF the place that I called today can really install a whole system for $300 then I think that's pretty reasonable since it would include the pipes, mufflers, and hangers. I'm sure they will try to nickel and dime me up by the time it's said and done. I will shop around. But even if I could buy the separate parts (made from thinner stock) the price for the parts would probably be in the range of $200 (two tail pipes, a couple of mufflers, pipes for the front end, and hangers).

They did tell me it only takes them a couple of hours.. so it stands to reason that the labor would only be for a couple of hours at the maximum.. which may be money well spent if someone had a bending machine, experience, and good materials that are better than over the counter pipe stock.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » August 26th, 2017, 3:48 am

NAPA's tape on the one over the counter tailpipe I got from them years ago says:
"NAPA exhaust systems 47304"
I did not find that listed anywhere on NAPA's web site. I think they are gone. : (

VesapMike

Postby VesapMike » August 28th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Thanks for the part number 47304.

Seems to be made by Walker

I did a search and found it at Jegs but I am not sure if they really have it in stock or can make it to order. It's offered under the Walker Dynomax line 47304.

Autozone is also supposed to stock it according to google with product code WAL47304, but their web site doesn't seem to list it when I search for it.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”